Become a Texas CPA
To become a CPA you’ll need strong communication, technology and problem-solving skills. So prepare with a broad-based education. Besides accounting and business courses, plan on taking some courses in finance, management, marketing, communications, economics, computer science, humanities and science. In Texas, to become a CPA you are required to: Complete a 150 hour degree program in accounting at an accredited college or university, pass the Uniform CPA Examination and attain a level of professional work experience in accounting.
Applying for the CPA exam
A candidate for the CPA exam must show completion of the following education requirements in order to apply for the exam:
- Baccalaureate or graduate degree conferred by an accredited institution of higher education recognized by the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy (the Board);
- Completion of courses recognized by the Board reflecting not fewer than 150 semester hours;
- Successful completion of at least 30 semester hours of accounting coursework beyond the first two semesters of elementary accounting, with at least 20 of these semester hours in core accounting subjects as defined by Board rule;
- Successful completion of at least 20 semester hours of related business courses as defined by Board rule.
To become a licensed CPA, an applicant must:
- Successfully complete the Uniform CPA Examination
- File an application for issuance of the CPA certificate
- Provide confirmation of good moral character as demonstrated by a lack of history of dishonest of felonious acts
- Meet the education requirements (150 hours or more of college credit)
- Meet the work experience requirements (one year experience under the supervision of a CPA)
- Pass an examination on the Rules of Professional Conduct as determined by Board rule
- Take an oath of office to support the laws and Constitution of the United States and this state and rules adopted by the Board
- Pay a fee for certification
- Pay a fee for licensing
For more information about qualifying and applying for the CPA exam contact:
Texas State Board of Public Accountancy (TSBPA)
333 Guadalupe, Tower III, Suite 900
Austin, Texas 78701-3942.
Main Number: 512-305-7800
TSBPA Qualifications/Exams: 512-305-7805 or 512-305-7851 FAX: 512-305-7875.
E-mail: email@example.com. Visit the TSBPA exam/qualification Webpage.
Looking for something special? Can’t find what you need?
Or do you just have a question about becoming a Texas CPA or member of TXCPA? Give us a call or send us an email so we can help! Contact Bryan Garza (800-428-0272 ext. 255).