Blazek & Vetterling (BV) is a Houston-based accounting firm that provides audit and tax services to private foundations, public charities, and other tax-exempt entities, locally and throughout the country.
The company is seeking a Tax Managing Director
to lead and manage multiple tax compliance and consulting engagements. She/he will be instrumental in managing and developing a team of tax professionals, and developing and retaining positive client relationships. The Tax Managing Director will report to the Founding Partner at Blazek & Vetterling; the position offers excellent leadership and career advancement opportunities for the right candidate.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:
The ideal Tax Managing Director is an experienced professional with broad and deep understanding of the complexity of the Federal tax code. She/he must also be an experienced CPA. This combined knowledge could come from excellent tax education, experience with a public accounting firm, and from serving as CFO for a nonprofit organization.
She/he is a problem-solver with the ability to strategically provide high-quality tax solutions and services, and uses her/his creativity and research to consider all options when making decisions and reaching conclusions. The ideal candidate is skilled in developing and maintaining outstanding relationships with clients and the nonprofit community. She/he is organized and can prioritize issues that are critical to achieving client and organizational goals. Leading by example, she/he possesses a natural ability to motivate and influence others. She/he excels at building internal relationships, and can successfully navigate cross-functional collaboration with the internal BV audit team to ensure outstanding execution of all client engagements. She/he understands how to manage internal resources by recognizing and effectively utilizing the talents of individual staff. The ideal candidate is equally adept at mentoring and growing individual careers in order to retain great talent within the organization. She/he is readily willing to provide leadership, guidance, and support when/where needed, and maintains the highest level of integrity and professionalism in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Provide IRS and state compliance and tax planning consultations to over 500 nonprofit organizations, including schools, human service providers, museums, and community organizations
- Demonstrate excellent technical skills with knowledge of tax code; ability to research and find answers in regulations, rulings, and court decisions for unique questions
- Research and write technical tax memoranda, documents, and reports
- Cultivate, build, and manage relationships with clients and members of the nonprofit community
- Assist with marketing and business development, including targeting new clients and development/presentation of proposals
- Supervise, coach, and develop tax staff to leverage their strengths and increase their performance
- Manage the financial performance of engagements including budgets, billing, and collections
- Provide outstanding client service by producing quality work, timely turnaround, and attentive service
- Assist with and make internal and external presentations
- Adapt to and work effectively with a variety of situations, individuals, or groups
- Effectively navigate politics and work through competing objectives within the organization
- Exhibit a “whatever it takes” attitude toward business opportunities, and approach problems with curiosity and an open mind to generate innovative ideas, solutions, and opportunities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA required; Master’s degree or law school/degree a plus
- 10+ years of experience in public accounting; experience in the nonprofit tax arena preferred
- 2+ years of experience in a management/leadership role
- Technical tax expertise related to tax-exemption, unrelated business income, private foundations and public charities, and other matters unique to tax-exempt entities
- Solid understanding of Internal Revenue Code provisions pertinent to all income taxpayers
- Excellent research, analytical, and writing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; engaging and effective presentation style
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Builds Collaboration: Builds collaboration by establishing, communicating, and reinforcing shared values and norms. Invites and builds upon the ideas and contributions of others, promoting teamwork and celebrating accomplishments.
- Coaches and Develops Others: Helps others identify and work toward both personal growth and organizational goals: remains accessible for assistance and support; fosters the development of others and provides both positive and corrective feedback with individualized suggestions for improvement.
- Communicates Articulately: Ability to speak clearly and concisely, and demonstrate skill in using expressiveness to convey important points in verbal communications.
- Develops and Maintains Relationships: Works to build and maintain relationships with individuals or organizations to achieve business goals. Leverages informal networks and regularly keeps up with contacts.
- Drives Innovation: Approaches business opportunities and problems with curiosity and an open mind to generate innovative ideas, solutions, and opportunities.
- Gains Buy-In: Explores alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain the support and acceptance of all parties.
- Holds Others Accountable: Monitors performance and holds others accountable for achieving their goals. Does not let performance slip below standards without taking action.
- Listens Actively: Actively listens to others’ questions, concerns and input. Takes time to understand the points being made without interrupting. Asks questions as appropriate and clarifies understanding.
- Maintains Order & Accuracy: Demonstrates a need to minimize unnecessary variance in processes. Establishes and/or follows protocols and procedures.
- Manages Work: Translates goals into tactics and specific steps. Establishes appropriate timelines and sets clear priorities. Follows up to stay on time and on budget.
- Persuades and Influences: Able to persuade others to take a course of action; is convincing, easily commands respect, and presents compelling rationale to gain support.
- Strives for Results: Drives for results and focuses on improving performance outcomes.
- Supervises Effectively: Monitors and delegates work assignments to stay on top of progress toward departmental goals. Allocates decision making authority and task responsibility to others as appropriate. Sets realistic expectations for others and has an awareness of things as they really are.
To apply for this position, please click here
Blazek & Vetterling is an equal opportunity employer.